21
Danielle

No worries. I’m still alive.

I’m going home this weekend. For a celebration. My celebration actually. My birthday celebration. Nothing big. Really.

You see, in the Indian community, when someone turns 21 it’s a big deal. A really big deal. A huge party is usually thrown, inviting at least a 100 people. Invitation cards will be printed and given to even the relatives you have not seen since u were in diapers. I’m not kidding you. If the party is at home, tents will be set up, foods catered. Otherwise, the party will be held at a big restaurant or even a hotel (like how one of my friends celebrated hers). Lots of people turn up, for the food and just to see the celebrated.

Somehow, I believe that the underlying goal behind such a huge occasion when someone turns 21 in the Indian community is to promote the person as someone eligible for marriage and proposal. I’m serious. In the Indian community, the age 21 is a ripe age for marriage, and so, you throw a big party when someone turns 21 and invite even the people you have not seen in 20 to 30 years because it is simply a publicity drive, to tell the world, ‘Hey, my son/daughter is hot, happening and is ready for marriage. So, if you’re interested, let us know.’

I didn’t want my birthday to be an occasion of that sort. So, I told my mom what I wanted exactly on my birthday celebration. However liberal I am, I do believe in celebrating birthdays. To me, these days are not to be taken for granted. Birthdays, for me, is a day, to rejoice an individual’s existence, and to celebrate his …..th year of celebrating an amazing life, to celebrate the friendships formed, memories made, and the completion of another year of life. So, I believe in celebrating them.

I told my mom, I wanted something simple. It is only going to involve about 20 people, inclusive of my family of five. Then, my priest uncle, another uncle and his family. My secondary school teacher, my church youth group advisor aka second mom, a close church friend, a close school friend, fabian and his family.

I’d love for some of my college friends to come, but I know it’s not easy to go all the way to penang for my birthday. Nevertheless, I’m still keeping my fingers crossed.

At the end of the day, I really wanted to celebrate and thank God for a beautiful 21 years. Having the people who made this 21 years of life beautiful, meaningful, memorable, and complete, with me on that special celebration is PERFECT. And I cannot ask for a better life than this.

1 Response
  1. U-Jean Says:

    happy birthday feli!!!