Danielle

Out of the many great movies there are, ‘Lord of the Rings’ have always been my favourite…


I am sure that it is the favourite of many others as well. However, it is for reasons that may distinguish me from the others…I do wonder always if there are others who appreciate LOTR for the same reasons I do…

The movie was essentially about struggle to accomplish a responsibility or mission…

And aligned with the mission of the movie, my favourite character was (obviously) Frodo…And yes, Frodo may be the favourite character of many others but for what reasons is the elemental question.


Frodo was my favourite character because I felt I could relate to him the most…and he inspired me the most. His character was more complex than it superficially seemed…


Frodo was a simple boy from a peaceful village, lead a happy, easy life that revolved around the ordinary..


but a coincidence or another somewhat simple matter, the ring in his case, changed him for life…


That journey of carrying the ring and every significant event that he went through throughout that time, that is, until the ring was finally destroyed, changed him, his mind, his actions, his emotions, fear, hope, and desires in life tremendously, and no one can say unambiguously whether it changed him for better or worse…


He can no longer be content with what he used to be contented with before the journey…His wants out of life has changed, although he may wish it didn’t.


Although his mission was finally consummated, he still couldn’t go back to who he was before…

He is changed forever

and though the scar has healed, it still hurts…


He is no longer the Frodo of Shire. He is now, Frodo of nowhere… Where he doesn’t feel belonged to anywhere and is still searching….


His friends seemed to have moved on with life, returned to their original lives and living happily…


But…

But he…
He still feels lost, very lost…


He is no longer the same but he don’t want to and can’t show how much he has changed to his friends for fear that it may scare them…


People fear changes, especially when we see it in the persons around us…When we see that our friends are changing, we fear that things will not be the same again…we try hard for things to remain as they were and in efforts of doing that we live in denial….


We avoid letting others see that we are or have changed…possibly for fear of rejection… We fear if others can accept the new us, that is different and unfamiliar, even unfamiliar to our own selves…


Fear…lost….suppressed…restricted…hurt….search…peace….
All this sums up what Frodo feels and felt….

And I see me in him….


The scar has healed and the yet, it still hurts…

It has changed me, my actions and reactions, my thoughts, my opinions, my outlook on myself, rather than my life… all have changed forever…


And there is no going back to who I was before…


0 Responses