Danielle
Some may not understand what I mean by this but I believe that it’s easier for a girl to look hip, hot and happening than to look herself.

I mean, right now, in this present time, there’s almost a clear definition of how a desirable girl looks like. Follow the recipe and you’ll find yourself landing the attention of many.

Just ensure you switch your glasses for contacts, get your hair straightened and then cut or style it in the latest trend, follow the latest fashion trends, wear hot heels/stilettos/pumps and walk the walk.
Do all or most of the above, and I promise you that you will have many showing you their undivided attention.

Honestly, I wish all that I said above wasn’t true. Unfortunately, it is. And I got to witness and experience it for myself.


Some may have known, that I switched my glasses for contacts. So, I’ve been wearing contacts and all of a sudden, I have many people giving me second looks, checking me out, complimenting me saying how pretty I look, asking if I’ve found someone and if he’s the reason behind my changes.

Even the canteen guy gives me more food because ‘I am so pretty now’. I receive good services from every restaurant that I go to. Cashiers, waiters smile at me as they take my order or get my bill. People treat me differently now.


Now, a girl should be flattered with such attention. But I, I am far from flattered. I feel rather disgusted that one can only notice beauty as defined by the media. And people treat you differently based on whether you are pretty or not. It’s depressing and disturbing.


It seems to me, beauty can only be recognised if you fit the criteria. Shit. There are criteria for looking beautiful and everyone is measured using the same criteria.


You know, what’s even worse is I get many people telling me how more chic, hot, happening and beautiful I’d look if I straightened my hair.


It’s as if there’s a checklist for defining beautiful girls. The more ticks you’ve got on your checklist, the more ‘beautiful’ others view you as.


When I look at myself in the mirror, I see the same person, with or without glasses. I see the same beautiful person. And yet, others only seem to recognise the beauty if I had contacts on, instead of glasses.


The truth is, it’s so much easier to just wear contacts all the time, get my hair straightened and look like the hottest chick ever, and win the attention and favour of many around me. It’s easier.


What’s difficult is to be me, glasses or contacts, to just be me. What’s difficult is to be me, knowing that people will treat me differently if I had glasses on instead of contacts.


If this is how I feel, I cannot imagine how many others who do not fit the ‘beauty’ criteria feel as they are treated differently based on how they look.


People need to learn to see the real beauty everyone has. People need to stop giving themselves excuses to define others using standards. People need to stop judging others by things superficial. People need to grow up and understand what life is really about. People need to stop giving themselves excuses saying, it’s biological, it’s innate. It’s not. It’s stupid.
0 Responses