Danielle
Very often we pay more attention to people in particular positions of power, people who have done extraordinary things in life, people whom we admire because of their achievements, people we wish to emulate, people with outstanding personalities.

Very often it is this kind of people who catch our attention and win our admiration. We think it is from people like this we can learn a lot.


To think about it, working hard to want to be somebody is way easier and normal than to be humble enough to live life in its most simple and ordinary form.



How often do we stop to admire the lady who cooks for us in the college cafeteria? How often do we stop to see the effort in the lady that cleans our floor, the lady who arranges our shoes in the morning? How often do we admire the security guard for trying to keep the college environment safe for us? How often do we stop to be grateful to the guy who comes and empties our rubbish bin for us?



In contrary...




When have we not admired an intelligent lecturer for his charism and passion? When have we not admired skilled surgeons or political leaders? When have we not admired our class president or a successful director of a project? When have we not looked up to an outstanding figurine we know?



I guess this characteristic of ours reflects a lot on how we view things.


Very often, it takes something really big and dramatic to get our attention and respect. Very often, we take the little things that are equally meaningful for granted.
We rather focus on the bigger achievements, bigger people, bigger qualities that we seem to have forgotten to stop and appreciate the simplicity we see around us, we forget to be grateful for the little moments we are gifted with.


Our inability to appreciate the little things are reflected rather vividly through the choices we make in life. From the partners we choose, the friends we appreciate, the aspects of life we pay attention to, the way we prioritise, everything seem to reflect how we always remember to appreciate the obvious in life and forget to appreciate the subtlety in life.


I want a hot, good looking, smart, rich, happening girlfriend/boyfriend.


I want a good paying job and an outstanding career position.


I want the cool, unique, interesting people as my friends.


I want to pay attention to my appearance and my material needs.


I prioritise earning money and earning grades.



Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying I don’t do any of the above. I am equally guilty.


But today I realised, in our ongoing attempt to be great and different, we seemed to have lost our sensitivity to appreciate the many subtle, beautiful things in life.


Today, I hope I will pay more attention to the ordinary things and people in life because today I believe in the big difference ordinary people and things make in my life.
0 Responses